Friday, July 6, 2007

Bread...

Liz, my summer roommate is waiting for me to go to bed so she can look up a good bread recipe online. Since I've made pizza, they have extra yeast and she is testing her cooking skills tonight by making bread. By the way, yeast is a pretty amazing thing. It makes a lump of dough expand to twice or three times its original size, it ferments fresh drinks to make alcoholic beverages, and it also gives people bad infections. Well anyway, my pastor's wife has a great recipe for bread dough which I will share:

Ingredients:
  • 1 Package Yeast
  • 2 teaspoon Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • 3 1/4 Cup Flour
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic
  • 1 cup warm water

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar, salt, oil and seasonings

2. Beat in flour and knead dough to make smooth and elastic

3. Let dough rise 1 hour

4. Punch down and roll out

5. Bake on pizza stone or cookie sheet with toppings at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.

It is delicious. This past weekend, at Austin's, we topped one pizza with pesto spread, sliced tomatoes, and mozzarella and parmesean cheeses. I think my favorite combo lately.

No comments: